Sunday 30 September 2012

My first Beehive

Although perhaps not a widely-recognised fashion role model, and certainly not a great general role model, I can't help but LOVE Patsy from Absolutely Fabulous. She's completely outrageous and for ages I've wanted to try and achieve her signature hairstyle - the beehive.

This here is my first ever attempt and is definitely not the last! I have a lot of hair and always thought it would be too long to be able to pin it all up and tuck it in but it was much easier than I thought it would be. I've never been very good at putting my own hair up and still can't ever get that sleek look that others seem to be able to. However, I've managed to come to terms with it and persuaded myself that a sleek hairstyle wouldn't suit me anyway - I seem to always be a bit of a dishevelled mess and a sleek hairstyle just wouldn't look right. This only took approx 20 minutes and is a great smart hairstyle.

To start with I sectioned off the front part of my hair from ear to ear (creating a parting where an Alice band would sit) and clipped this up out of my way. Then, working in three sections (one on each side and one at the back) I back-combed hair in layers all the way from the top down to the nape of my neck. Once hair was successfully back-combed and voluminous I unclipped the smooth hair and smoothed it down to cover the knotty bits.  I pushed it all over one shoulder and put in a couple of kirby grips to secure the hair to one side. I then pushed the hair back over the kirby grips and tucked the lengths inside,  finally securing with more clips. It actually only took four clips to hold my mass amount of hair up and just small sprays of hairspray to secure any flyaways.

It could be argued this isn't really a traditional beehive and might be slightly french-pleat-ish but I am very proud of myself and can't wait to practice some more!x

No comments:

Post a Comment